Quantum Engineer, Low Temperature Solution (m/f/d)
Qnami develops fundamental new technology using quantum mechanics. The control and measurement of the state of a single electron enables us to measure what could never be measured before. We call this quantum sensing and are enthusiastically developing this technique to improve people's lives and the world.
Qnami is a magnet for talent looking to join the quantum revolution at the pulse. Young, multicultural, open and skilled, we have a deep passion for our work. We are both business and scientific minded. Each of us offers their top unique skills plus an intense work ethic and enthusiastic spirit because we believe in what we do. We value diversity and have created a flexible open team culture of mutual respect that supports employees' development and enables all of us to live healthy, well-balanced lives.
We develop and commercialize applications of NV Quantum Sensors (Nitrogen Vacancy), leveraging proprietary technology and unique know-how. Our first commercial product, the Qnami ProteusQ is a complete quantum microscope system. It is the first scanning NV microscope (nitrogen-vacancy) for analysis of magnetic materials at atomic scale, and features state-of-the-art electronics and software. The flexible design allows for future adjustments and scaling, expansion, and functionality additions.
We are developing a new product to apply our Scanning NV Magnetometry technology to low temperature (cryogenic) applications. For this, we are seeking a Quantum Engineer, Low Temperature Solution.
As the Quantum Engineer, you will play a critical role in the definition, design, development and prototyping of the future low temperature solution.
In this position, your responsibilities will include
- Design and create prototypes of a low temperature Scanning NV Microscope
- Test, refine and improve the prototypes, working towards target commercial instrument specifications using Agile development approaches
- Identify commercially available components and/or design own components as needed
- Install and test software
- Test instrument performance at low temperature
- Collaborate with Qnami experts, corporate and academic partners to realize the new product
Qnami offers you a great working environment and a chance to learn and grow:
- Be the person to develop a new low temperature commercial instrument
- Be a core part of a motivated and energetic startup team who value both scientific free climbing and human connection
You are an experienced Engineer or Physicist with experience building and testing instrumentation for use in low temperature. You are curious, like to take initiative, you are stimulated by challenge and like to work with a diverse, multi-cultural team. Your qualifications include
- Track record of designing and building laboratory or commercial measurement instrumentation
- Proven expertise in low temperature measurement instrumentation
- Experience in handling optical systems in low temperature environments
- Demonstrated expertise with scanning microscopy (AFM, STM, MFM, etc.)
- Experience with Agile development on multi-disciplinary teams
- Entrepreneurial spirit, passion for learning and a desire to work for a quickly growing company
- Aibility to organize and priorize work as well as organize and manage time • MSc or PhD in Engineering or experimental Physics
- Experience in quantum science is an advantage
- Fluent in English and German, other languages are a plus
- Ability to travel up to 25% (once COVID allows!)
You will have responsibilities and a direct contribution to the growth of the company and the emergence of a quantum industry 1.0. Your salary will be based on your experience. The role is based in Stuttgart, Germany. International travel is anticipated for this role.